Monday, March 7, 2011

So You're an Actor Now?

I went on my first film audition Saturday, Feb 26. I just got the part.

Its been 20 years since I auditioned for anything. Back then, it was high school drama productions. They were usually pretty frustrating affairs. Many of the productions were musicals, and I couldn't sing or dance, so I was left playing the heavy: Big Jule in Guys & Dolls, or the Russian Constable in Fiddler on the Roof.

Back then, a friend told me about a casting going on for extras in Dead Poet's Society. I was a junior in high school, and took off from Career Week to be in the film. I think I worked about four days, and was amazed at the process of filmmaking. Because the set was a courtyard, they left many of the extras in place as they re-set the camera and lights. I wanted to keep working in film, but it didn't seem possible at the time. I went to college and studied art, and began my career in graphics.

Fast forward to 2007: Body of Lies was shooting in my neighborhood, and was looking for extras. I had such a great time that again I wanted to work in film professionally. I hooked up with a local crew and PA'd on a short film and I again wanted to get into it, but my life was making big shifts, and I had to focus on buying a house, and raising my first child.

Its when I was home with her that I thought about film again. I got inspired by a viral video clip of Michael Emerson in an industrial video, and the thought that down the road he would become Benjamin Linus on LOST.

I was browsing craigslist when I saw an ad seeking actors for an industrial film. My thinking was, If I could be an extra, I should try for nonspeaking roles. If I could do that, I could grow into a speaking role. I already had a job, I didn't need to make a lot of money, but would't it be great if...

So I went in the basement, took a headshot of myself, and sent it in.

I didn't hear anything for almost a year. But last month, a talent agent who had cast the industrial film called to see if I was interested in trying out for a commercial. I went, but I was out of my league. It was so exciting that I decided to keep trying, but I wanted to start building my reel for the next opportunity. I signed up to be an extra in an independent film, and met a great group of people who like me weren't professional actors, but were trying. I started lining up auditions and potential shoots. My wife is not sure what to make of it, but she's very supportive.

When I went to this audition, I explained that I didn't have speaking experience, and that I'd be happy to play Policeman #2, etc. The director emailed to say that part had been edited out, but that she felt I could handle a much larger speaking role.

No comments: