Thursday, April 23, 2009

Photo Mechanic




I finally tried out Camera Bits' Photo Mechanic software.

I've been using Apple's Aperture program exclusively, but I kept seeing Photo Mechanic mentioned in sports photography workflow articles, and I wanted to check it out. This spring, my digital workflow has really become an issue for me. I started shooting sports several times a week with my D300 and D200. Dealing with RAW files and multiple cards made the import/edit process slow down to a crawl, and I found myself spending too much time waiting for files & previews to load.

I decided to try Photo Mechanic to basically do the first round editing before I imported the images into my Aperture Library. I have to say I am very impressed with its speed, even on my aging powerbook. So much so that I think I can easily justify adding as a step in the workflow.

No comments: