Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What I want in my house

Jen and I went house shopping for the first time Saturday, and we were really disappointed by the quality of houses we saw in our price range. The first one was in a neighborhood that showed some promise, but was a dump inside. In fact, after 2 or three dumps, I think our real estate agent got worried that we were going to give up the whole thing. She was more than happy to recommend that we use her mortgage guy, constantly repeating "you should call Travis,...that's why you should call Travis" It got to the point that I wanted to say "enough already." I expected this, but coincidentally, I've been reading about recent lawsuits in the area involving our real estate agent's company, and the mortgage company she keeps pushing.

So now Jen and I are trying to prioritize the things we want in a new house.

More than one bathroom
Two bedrooms with flexible other space, or three bedrooms
A community we feel safe in (walking at night, etc)
A Basement with outside access
A washer and dryer
Trees and green space
Gas furnace
Walkable to Metro/bus lines
A good school (not just for our kids, but for resale of the house)
Reasonable commute(one hour or less)

Preferred:
Central Air
Gas stove
Entering in to a hallway, not the living room

No comments: